About this Banana Poppy Seed Cake:
If you’re looking for a tasty new banana cake recipe, this is it! This is a moist and delicious banana cake with poppy seeds to add a little crunch in every bite. Topped off with a creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. So good.
SIZE: This cake is baked in an 8 x 8 baking pan.
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: You probably have the ingredients already!
OCCASION: Great for breakfast, snacking or dessert.
DELICIOUS: Moist and banana-y.
Great for all occasions!
One of the great things about this Banana Poppy Seed Cake is that it’s SO versatile! You can enjoy it for breakfast (frosting is always delicious at breakfast haha), you can have it for a snack, serve it for dessert or even make it for a birthday cake! And it’s perfect for potlucks too.
To Ice or Not To Ice?
That is the question! Do you want delicious and creamy vanilla frosting in every bite of your banana cake? Or are you a purist and just want the cake, no frosting? The good news is, you can decide! This cake is delicious both with, or without the vanilla buttercream.
But when put to a vote in our house, icing was a must! I mean, just look at all the creamy deliciousness!
- Questions about basic ingredients? Read my FAQ page!
- Bananas: Use 4 medium ripe bananas. You want about 1 1/2 cups mashed.
- Sour Cream: Full fat sour cream is the best for this cake. You can also use plain Greek yogurt or a 6% Balkan style yogurt instead.
- Poppy Seeds: Use dried poppy seeds from the baking aisle. There is no need to soak them first.
- Frosting: This recipe makes a delicious creamy vanilla buttercream. Another tasty option is this Marshmallow Buttercream!
Banana Poppy Seed Cake Recipe Tips:
- Pan Size: Bake in an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Prepare your pan: Make sure to either line the baking pan with parchment paper, or grease with butter before adding the batter. This will ensure that you can easily remove the cake from the pan.
- Baking Time: Depending on your oven, this cake takes about 50 minutes to bake. The cake is done when the centre is slightly raised and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container on the kitchen counter (I don’t keep mine in the refrigerator).
- Freezing: This cake freezes well WITHOUT the frosting (freeze without the frosting added).
Banana Poppy Seed Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
Banana Poppy Seed Cake:
- 4 bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Then add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream, mixing until smooth.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- Now add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, don’t over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 50 minutes. The cake is done when the top is golden and the centre is tight, and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the buttercream. Use an electric mixer and cream together the butter, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- When the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and let cool completely before frosting, at least 1 hour.