About this Creamy Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta
This is one of my family’s most favourite recipes! The sauce is tomato-y and rich with flavours of basil, Parmesan cheese and wine. The shrimp is flavourful and salty sweet mixed in the sauce. All served over your favourite pasta. And did I mention it’s ready in less than 1 hour?! So good.
Easy enough for a weekday!
No really, it is! Don’t be fooled by the ingredient list…the ingredients are simple! This dish comes together quickly making it doable for weeknights. But it’s also great for special weekend dinners. Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread…the bread is great for soaking up the delicious sauce!
Creamy Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta Recipe Tips
- Shrimp: Any size of cooked (and deveined) shrimp will work for this recipe.
- Pasta: Spaghetti or fettuccine noodles are great for this dish. Or use your favourite pasta.
- Tomatoes: Use 1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
- Basil: Use fresh basil leaves, they’re the most flavourful.
- Wine: Use a good white wine, one that you would drink. You don’t have to add the wine, but I highly, highly recommend that you do. It’s what makes the sauce SO good. If you choose not to add the wine, substitute it with chicken or vegetable broth.
- Toppings: Make sure to serve this dish with extra fresh basil and Parmesan cheese!
- Serve with: Serve this dish with a loaf of crusty bread, it’s perfect for soaking up extra sauce!
Creamy Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta
- 1 lb shrimp cooked and deveined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ~ 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine or broth
- 1/4 tsp salt more to taste if needed
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- linguine noodles
- fresh parmesan for garnish
- fresh basil for garnish
- In a pan on low-medium heat melt the butter with the olive oil, and sauté the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the red pepper flakes, fresh basil, tomatoes (with the juice), tomato paste, lemon juice, white wine and salt and pepper.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced to half.
- While the tomato mixture is simmering, in a separate pot boil the noodles according to the package directions.
- Once the tomato mixture is done simmering, add the shrimp, and cook until the shrimp have warmed through, just a few minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese then simmer for a few more minutes, until everything is warmed through and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Serve over the cooked pasta and enjoy!
don’t miss our
FREE Meal Planning Printables
Make meal planning easier than ever with these FREE Meal Planning Printables! Everything you need for daily, weekly and monthly meal planning.