These St. Patrick’s Day Coconut Macaroons are a delightful little treat!
ABOUT: Chewy and coconut-y with mint!
FESTIVE: Perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day.
SIMPLE: Assemble and bake in just minutes. So easy.
Fun for St. Patrick’s Day!
If you’re looking for a really simple, fun, festive and minty dessert or treat idea for St. Patrick’s Day, these Coconut Macaroons with mint are a great option! Just make a little ‘nest’ in the centres of the cookies, bake then decorate with green frosting and a chocolate mint. So easy!
Tips for shaping coconut macaroon nests:
I like to use a small teaspoon to create an indent in the centre of the coconut macaroon batter. Then bake for about 12 minutes. When they come out of the oven you will need to gently press down the indent again as it will rise slightly during baking. Then let the cookies cool completely (about 30 minutes) before adding the green frosting and chocolate mint. Don’t rush the decorating or the frosting and chocolate will melt all over the coconut macaroon.
Cool completely, then fill with green coloured vanilla frosting and top with a chocolate mint! Enjoy.
St. Patrick’s Day Coconut Macaroons Recipe Tips:
- Coconut: Use a 14 oz package (about 2 cups) of sweetened shredded coconut.
- Frosting: I use a pre-made vanilla frosting, but if you have a favourite homemade buttercream you can use that too. Then stir in 1 – 2 drops of green food colouring.
- Chocolate: I used a mint chocolate bar and put a section onto each cookie. You could also use After Eight mints, Andes Chocolate mints, or any type of mint chocolate.
- Prep the baking sheet! These cookies will stick to a baking sheet, so make sure you line it with parchment paper.
- Storage: Store these macaroons in an air-tight container (they’re fine stored at room temperature).
- Freezing: Coconut Macaroons freeze well for up to 3 months or so. Just don’t freeze them with the candy…add those right before you want to serve them.
- Looking for another fun sweet idea for St. Patrick’s Day? Make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars and add green candy coated chocolates, mint chocolate chips and/or mint chocolates!
St. Patrick’s Day Coconut Macaroons with Mint
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14 oz package sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting (store bought)
- 1 – 2 drops green food colouring
- 30 mint chocolates
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper because the macaroons will stick to the pan if you don't!
- Whip together the egg whites, sugar and salt until frothy.
- Stir in the sweetened flaked coconut.
- Drop the mixture onto the sheet by heaping tablespoons, about 1 1/2 inches apart. They don’t spread out.
- Then use a teaspoon to make a small indent into the centre of each cookie.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until they start to appear slightly golden brown.
- When they are done, remove from the oven, then use the teaspoon to gently indent the centre again.
- Let cool completely before adding the icing, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the vanilla frosting with about 1 – 2 drops of green food colouring.
- Once the cookies are fully cooled, add a teaspoon of green vanilla frosting to the indent in the centre of each cookie.
- Then place a chocolate mint square into the frosting.
PIN IT for later!